(Last updated Dec. 14, 2017)
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
We collect information from you to operate our sites, to offer products and services to you, and to increase the effectiveness of our advertising and promotion of products and services.
Personally identifiable information
We may collect personal contact information from you on our sites, such as your full name, home and email addresses, and telephone number, when you voluntarily provide it – as, for example, when you sign up for contests or sweepstakes, complete surveys, or request products or services, such as our e-newsletter. Registration may be required to use some sites or apps. We may offer you the ability to receive information via short message service (“SMS”; text messaging) or multimedia messaging service (“MMS”; messages with multimedia content sent over a cellular network). By providing your mobile phone or similar number, you agree to receive information on your mobile device. Please note that your service provider may impose fees to send or receive messages.
You may also submit personal information on some of our sites for purposes of applying for a job.
Non-personally identifiable information
To help us offer products and services of interest to you, we may ask you to provide information about your hobbies, interests, and preferences. We may also ask you to provide demographic information such as your age, gender, and zip code.
We collect additional information on an anonymous, aggregate basis. The third parties that we use for collecting, analyzing, and storing data, the information they collect, and the procedures they use are described below.
Social plug-ins of facebook.com, operated by Facebook Inc. (“Facebook”), run on our site. These plug-ins are marked with a Facebook logo or the additional text “Social Plug-in from Facebook” or “Facebook Social Plug-in.” For an overview of the Facebook plug-ins and their appearance on our site, click here. When you access a page on our sites that contains a plug-in, your browser creates a direct link to Facebook’s servers. The content of the plug-in is transmitted by Facebook directly to your browser and integrated in the page. By integrating the plug-in, Facebook is informed that your browser has accessed the corresponding page of our site even if you do not have a Facebook profile or are not currently logged into Facebook. This information, including your IP address, is transmitted from your browser directly to a Facebook server and stored there.
If you are logged into Facebook, Facebook can directly assign the visit to our site to your Facebook profile. When you interact with the plug-ins, for example, by pressing the “Like” button or submitting a comment, this information is also transmitted directly to a Facebook server and stored there. This information will also be published on your Facebook profile and shown to your Facebook friends. Information on Facebook’s collection and use of this data and your rights relating to it, including settings options for protecting your privacy, is available here. If you do not want Facebook to assign the data collected via our site directly to your Facebook profile, you must log out of Facebook before visiting our site. You can also prevent the loading of Facebook plug-ins with add-ons for your browser, such as the “Facebook Blocker".
We use "cookies," small files that are saved on your computer or mobile device, to make our sites more attractive and allow you to use enhanced features of the sites. Cookies allow us to recognize your browser the next time you visit. By using cookies, we can improve your experience when you visit our site and provide site content and services that are customized for you. Cookies also allow us to measure the effectiveness of our advertising and tailor advertising to your interests.
You can set your computer to alert you whenever a cookie is sent or to turn off most cookies via your internet browser. Note, however, that some mobile devices store cookies in app-specific areas not controlled by browser settings. If you do not accept cookies, some features of our sites may not be available to you.
Do not track signals
We do not take action to respond to do not track signals that are available on some browsers.
Special precautions for children under 13
We take special precautions to protect the privacy of children younger than 13, consistent with the requirements of the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). For example:
- We do not collect personal information such as full name, home or email address, or telephone number from children under 13 without the consent of a parent or guardian, except as authorized by law. For example, when children under 13 provide their contact information to us in connection with requesting services, we may ask for their parent’s or guardian’s contact information so that we can notify the parent or guardian of the children’s interest and get permission for the children to participate and to disclose their contact information. This may occur, for instance, when children under 13 request a subscription to our e-newsletter or enter a contest.
- We limit the personal information we collect from children under 13 to only what is needed for them to participate in the activities and services requested and provided. We delete the children’s personal information from our database after the activity or service is completed and no further legal requirement to keep the information exists.
- If children under 13 contact us via email with questions, we retain their e-mail addresses for long enough to respond to them. We delete their information after we answer their questions.
- When we offer opportunities to communicate via social media to children under 13, we take steps to prevent them from disclosing their personal contact information unless a parent or guardian has consented to such disclosure. For example, social networking by children under 13 is structured so that no personally identifiable information is shared unless verifiable parental consent is obtained
- We allow the parents or guardians of children under 13 to review the personal information their children have provided, direct us to delete information, refuse to allow further collection or use of such information entirely, or refuse to allow disclosure of such information to third parties. If you are a parent or guardian of children under 13 and wish to review or change the personal information they have provided, please complete our Request to Access Children’s Personal Information form, available here and return it to us as provided on the form. You will need to provide valid identification to access this information.
What security measures do we use to protect information?
We use Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) technology to protect credit card data during transmission to our sites. We also enforce internal procedures to safeguard this information. We require our service providers and vendors to adhere to industry-accepted best practices to protect the personal information they handle. But we cannot guarantee 100 percent security. And we assume no responsibility for the security procedures of third parties.
Access and changes to information for those who are 13 or older
You may contact us with a request to access, update, or delete any information we have about you, and to stop receiving updates and information about our products and services. We will respond promptly to your request, but before we act on the request, we may ask you to verify your identity. E-mailed opt-out requests are processed within 10 business days. Postal-mailed opt-out requests may take longer.
California privacy rights
California’s Civil Code § 1798.83 provides that California residents have the right to receive information about any third parties with whom their personally identifiable information has been shared for direct marketing purposes during the previous calendar year, and a description of the types of personal information shared. Requests for such information may be made annually, by completing and sending us a Privacy Request Form, available here. We will respond within 30 days of receiving this request.
or via postal mail at:
Am Limes 69
73527 Schwäbisch Gmünd
+49 (0) 7171 8001 0