The Platypus from Schleich® WILD LIFE is an unusual mammal in that it lays eggs.
- Additional Information
5,3 x 9,4 x 2,2 cm (W x D x H)
- Schleich® figurines are modelled in the finest detail to help children learn while they play.
- This item is part of the WILD LIFE theme world and is suitable for children aged 3-8
The Platypus from Schleich® WILD LIFE is one of the few egg-laying mammals. It is native to Australia. It lives in rivers and lakes, feeding on prawns, insects and worms. Its wide bill looks similar to that of a duck. The bill senses the electrical signals of other animals and allows prey to be tracked down. Compared to other mammals, the Platypus has a very low body temperature of only 32 degrees Celsius.
The only other mammal that also lays eggs is the echidna.
- Scientific name : Ornithorhynchus anatinus
- Global Home : Australia
- Conservation Status : Near threatened
- Primary habitat : Wetlands